DIY: How to Make a Crayon Monogram

Pin It

How adorable is this crayon monogram? Perfect to gift to a special teacher but also a really fun idea for a nursery, child’s room or play room.

It’s a very simple DIY project.

Print your letter out on a scrap piece of paper.
Arrange crayons over letter.
Cut crayons individually to length using a sharp knife and cutting board.*
Glue crayon pieces together using a glue gun.
Then glue the crayon letter to a nice piece of stiff paper.
Frame.

*diy tip: When you’re making the straight cuts it helps to roll the crayon under your knife to score it all the way around, then it just snaps in the center leaving a cleaner cut. Unfortunately it doesn’t work with the slanted cuts.

Is this project something you’ll be trying? Leave a comment and let me know =)

image source – pinterest from Nesting Sticks
{Big thanks to Ashley from Nesting Sticks for sharing her DIY on pinterest and allowing me to share it here}

________________________________________________

Too busy to visit every day? Sign up for our newsletter delivered weekly right to your inbox or subscribe to our feed! You can also become a fan on Facebook or Tweet with us on Twitter for all the latest updates.

Like this article? Share it!
Pin It
About Nicole @ Chic & Cheap Nursery

Nicole is the founder/editor of ChicCheapNursery.com and mom of a 4-year old princess. She has a B.A. in Architecture and a passion for design—nursery design to be precise!

Comments

1. Camille says:

Thanks Jennifer!! That was a great big help in getting the template!

2. Love this idea! Could you help me with the letter J? Thank you!

3. Need help with the letter “T”.

4. I am making 8 of them right now. However I did.not read the.note about rolling the Crayon while cutting so there may be.a few to replace. I also used the letter templates and traced then onto cardboard for.a little bit more sturdiness! Thanks for the idea!!! Cant wait to have my son give them to his teachers!!

5. Samantha says:

I just made this for my son’s 2nd grade teacher and it turned out Great! It cost me $13 and only took me an hour. Those diagonal cuts are definitely tricky. But it was worth it! Thanks for the post!

6. I love this. My son’s teacher is a C so that could be difficult lol. I think I have a couple ideas on how to make this work though. Thanks!

7. Could you help or give me suggestions on the letter D?
    Thanks!

• Caitlin says:

@cheryl, D would be the same as the top of the letter P, just larger scaled. This is a very nice project, although I had a slight problem with L when I did it for my son’s room.

8. Florence says:

Hi! Found your project in pinterest and made it for my daughter’s teacher. Loved it! It was harder then I thought but it turned out great! Here’s a link to my Facebook photo (I had to brag!!)

9. Saw this around Christmas time and stored it away for right now! First grade teacher is getting an “F”! Thanks for the adorable idea!

10. When using the frame. Can you use any type frame and just leave the glass out? Which kind of stiff paper do you recommend. Heading out to the craft store now. :)

11. I found this on pinterest and thought its perfect for my daughter’s teacher and TA.

12. @Amanda, You can definitely use a regular frame and just take the glass out. As for the paper, card stock is best. Good luck!

13. Is this on an 8×10? I tried printing out the template for the letter, but it looks small on the 8.5×11 sheet of paper…what is the size of the project photo at the top, does anyone know? thanks!

14. Jennifer L says:

Can someone tell me how to print out the letter “L” so that it would come out nicely? Did you download another font. I have shadow boxes that are 8×8. Do I format the paper differently?

15. I just made 2 of these for my kids teachers today…. Such a wonderful idea. I used glittery paper to glue the crayon letter to. Love it! Thanks for the inspiration!

16. I need help in getting the template I would like to do the letter P C & O Can you help me?

17. Can you help me with the template for the letters P C and O?

18. Would love to do this as Christmas presents for my children and my nephews. How do I go about getting a template for the letters…….. H K S and C please?

19. Danielle says:

I saw this crayon idea and thought it was adorable. My neighbor just had a little baby boy and I am making it for him. I need some help though……It’s the letter H and the template I printed seems to be difficult to work with. Everything is fine until I get to the middle and its bigger then a whole crayon so I can’t just put one crayon across there, any suggestions???? Thank You!!!!

20. Do you have a template for the letter G and P

21. Did you use a template for the letter?

22. Just made the letter “J” for my childrens room! It was a little tricky but I love the way it turned out! Thanks for the awesome idea.(:

23. Can I get the template for the letter H and the letter C. Thanks

24. Great idea! My sister just became a teacher and I am making her one for her classroom :)

25. I found it easier to use my Dremel on the slanted pieces so I ended up using it for the whole project and it worked just fine if not better than using a knife. Neat project idea!

26. I need a letter “F” template. Going to start my student teaching this fall and I want to give it to the teacher I will be working with as a thank you! :)

27. Will someone please send me a good template for the letter z? I don’t want plain block or bubble, which seems all i can find. I would much rather have one along the style in this picture.

28. hi nicole,

what font were you using? and also, do you think it is better to do capitals instead of lower case?

sam

29. Liz Goulet says:

I find your page terrific! I love this idea and do you have a template or stencil that I could download. I’m looking for the letter O. I would appreciate it very much. Thanks again.

liz

30. What size frame did you use?

31. Just doing the letter S now! Jeeps creeps not the easiest letter to do but actually looks fab…but it is taking me yonks as pretty large scale…had to mix little and large crayons too and it’s worked quite well actually…cheers for the inspiration

32. Love this and would love to have template for the letters R,O,S.

33. Ai Garanganao says:

hi! i love this idea… i plan to make it for my daughter’s teachers…
    may i know what font you used? thanks… =)

34. misty winters says:

i need the letter c please!

35. Super idea thanks 4 sharing.. ;)

36. Katherine says:

Amazing! Can you send me a template for the letter J please? x

37. Hello, could you please help me with the letter “F” template? and, “C” and “B”

Kim

38. What detailed instructions. I could have never guessed that you cut the crayons and glue them to a piece of paper.

Thanks for taking us through your creative process so thoroughly so that we could effectively apply the technique on our own.

39. Hi! Was wondering if you could include the measurements of the frame you used?

40. MAGGIE MARTIN says:

I am so excited to do this for a very special teacher which has been all 4 of my children’s Kindergarten teacher. I am going to add a letter from each child to the back of the frame letting her know how special she has been to our lives. I’m so excited I cannot wait and only hope it comes out so beautiful. Could you tell me where you printed the stencil from?

• I decided to make this for my daughters teacher as a Christmas gift. I was having trouble printing the letter to look just as I wanted to so I went to A.C. Moore and bought a large wooden letter S and traced it. The letter was only $3 and I think it was totally worth it because it makes a great stencil. Can anyone suggest how to arrange the crayons across the longer parts of the letters? The top of the S is larger than the length of a crayon so I am a bit stuck.

41. I am now making these for my kiddos teachers for Christmas. I see everyone asking for the templae but didnt see where you responded to where to find it. I need a M, B, C, J, T, H, L

42. Can someone tell me where I can find a L and H templete like the one in the pinterest post.

43. This is so cool! I really want to try to make a few! My girls saw someone make these at the end of the school year and they want to make them for their teacher’s Christmas gift. I’m feeling a little nervous though because I am not a crafty person. Any tips or help that you could give me with the letters B, E, and P would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

44. Fantastic idea…where do I get the letter templates I need….

45. Wondering if anyone has done an L and posted a pic of it.I am thinking of making these as end of the year gifts for my kids teachers this year. I would really like an Idea for doing the bottom of the L.

46. Would anyone be willing to share a pic of the letter L ? I am trying to get some ideas on how to do the bottom portion of the letter L.Thankyou :)

47. Debbie smith says:

My student teacher found this on Pinterest and made for me. I love it and have received many compliments. Thanks.

48. Was curious if anyone knew where the templates are for the letters.
    Hoping to do the for my boys’ teachers this weekend.

49. Hi!! This is such a cute project! I was wondering if I could get the template for the letter J? Thank you! :)

Trackbacks