by Melissa of Table for Two and a Half
Decorating my son’s nursery before he was born was potentially the one — and only! — thing that kept me sane. Too nauseous to eat? I’ll just browse Etsy instead. Round ligament pain that could make a grown man cry? Where did I put that Mod Podge? It was therapeutic and inspiring. The only thing better than spending 48 hours debating the perfect fabric for a pillow he’ll never use? Being able to look the little bugger in the eye and plan his birthday party.
My Little Man turns 2 in a few weeks (hold me), and he has declared that he wants a dinosaur party. Who am I to object? Especially when so many creative parents and event planners have delivered some inspiration and made my fear of pulling this off extinct.
1. Yes, I’m starting with food (you’ll quickly learn this is how I operate). With a sister-in-law who is a pastry chef, I have this strange need to churn out a cake that is just a few steps up from the Betty Crocker box. And this adorable little dinosaur cake seems actually doable.
2. Some restaurants require advance ordering for their gourmet molten lava cakes, but these actually sound much simpler, plus how can you deny the unexpected but oh-so-on theme tie-in!?
3. I’ve taken to labeling all foods at parties I throw since, a) I know I’m a tad adventurous and don’t want to turn off anyone with an unexpected mouthful and, b) it’s another fun thing to create. Herbivore, omnivore and carnivore signs over salads, casseroles and burgers bring standard foods to a new level.
4. One kiddo stomping around the house yelling “Roar!” is pretty cute. A stampede of T-Rexes sporting brightly colored tails cutting through the kitchen? Priceless.
5. I’m a firm believer in party favors, and while I love giving out non-food goodies (especially for kids who I’m sure have enough sugar in their system), it’s hard to not love the easiness of this option. Plus, how gorgeous is that bag?
6. Dinosaurs automatically conjure up a scheme of greens, tans and maybe blue, but why can’t little cave gals get in on the fun? This sweet party set has all the expected dino power with a bit of girlie sass.
images: Party Frosting | Wants & Wishes | The Delaney Family | Tatertots and Jello | I Still Love You | Pinwheel Lane